Grapes aren't good for Breakfast.
Breakfast Tea Sausage is an 18-month-old female miniature dachshund. This little one decided to help herself to some green grapes one evening. Her owner knew grapes were toxic for dogs and brought Breakfast Tea Sausage in to the Veterinary Specialty Centre Emergency Services for advice on what to do.
Grapes and raisins can cause a dog to develop sudden kidney failure. This typically occurs within 48 hours after eating the grapes. Because of this, we always recommend a dog be seen at emergency if they have eaten grapes.
The recommendation for treatment by a veterinarian is:
- induce vomiting
- conduct baseline blood work to assess current kidney health
- proactively treat with IV fluids for 48 hours to help prevent kidney failure
Breakfast Tea Sausage’s family didn’t want to take any chances, so this cutie spent 48 hours in our ICU getting her IV fluids. While we loved meeting this cuddly pup, we hope she stays away from grapes and avoids future Emergency visits!